Friday 30 August 2019

Saltmarshe heritage events

It's almost September and  it feels autumnal. The apples are doing well and we have had a few figs and greengages. I am hoping to pick some brambles too [ blackberries to non Yorkshire folk] and make an apple and bramble pie or maybe some jam. It's one of my favourites.

But with my local history hat on I would like to publicise a couple of things. For many years now I have been teaching local history classes in both Howden and Goole. Both classes restart after the summer break in a little over a  fortnight.

The Howden class meets on a Monday afternoon at 1.30 in the town council offices on Bridgegate and the Goole one on a Thursday morning at 10am in the Ilkeston Ave community centre. Both classes last 2 hours with a coffee break and run for 11 weeks.

Over the years I have run these classes not only have I made some good friends but the students have too. Some have been coming for  30 years and some have joined in January this year. Classes are  formalish in that I talk or show slides and students listen  but everyone soon joins in and has their two-penn'orth!!

This term we are going to look at the history of local chapels in both Howden, Goole and the villages.
The classes are run by the WEA and students are asked to enrol online or by telephone. But you can come along to the first class, see if you enjoy it and then enrol. Or contact me through my Howdenshirehistory  website if you have any queries.

The Howden class begins on Monday 16th September and the Goole one on  Thursday 19th September.

https://www.wea.org.uk/yorkshire-and-humber

This summer we have visited various churches. Here we are at Eastrington

But in between these two classes  on Wednesday  18th September  I shall be giving two talks at Saltmarshe hall. It is heritage open week when interesting places all over England, many not normally open to the public,  are open to visit.

Saltmarshe Hall wil be open from 10am to 4pm. My illustrated talks will be at 11am and 2pm and will last about half an hour. Cream teas will be available at £6.95 pp.

Inside the library at Saltmarshe hall  around 100 years ago

I also have a small private museum in an 18th century cottage  in Saltmarshe. It houses a collection of bygones and is normally open only by appointment. But it will also be open that day,  within walking distance along the riverbank from the hall.

Inside the old cottage museum at Saltmarshe


So it will be a busy week but, I hope, an enjoyable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment