The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1853 at the same time as the stones for churches at Hensall and Pollington. All three churches were designed by architect William Butterfield.
While the Cowick church was being built church services, including baptisms took place in a room in nearby Cowick Hall. There is a list of these baptisms in the book.
There is also a lot of detail about the clergy and other families involved with the church as well as details of those local men who have been lost as a result of war; not only the world wars but also the conflict in Northern Ireland and the war in Iraq.
One of the families who were long associated with the church was the Clark family who were solicitors in Snaith. Sadly the plaque recording the dedication of the lychgate to Miss Frederica Louisa Clark in 1938 was recently stolen, presumably for its scrap value.
The proceeds of the sales from this booklet will be used to replace the plaque.
Copies of the booklet are available from Ken Sayner at 8, Walnut Crescent, Snaith at a cost of £6. [plus £1.50 p and p].
Below is a page from the booklet showing the church interior and some of the stained glass.
|Inside East Cowick church|