Monday 19 July 2021

Pond cleaning and old pictures

 I am writing this on what is, I think, the hottest day of the year so far. I have been watering my tomatoes in the greenhouse and am hopeful that they will begin to ripen soon. Both dog and cat are lying flat out on the drive having found patches of shade. 

It has been a busy week beginning with my new cooker arriving on Monday morning at 6.45 am, a birthday meal for a friend on Wednesday, a lovely clarinet and piano concert in Howden Minster and on Friday watching a young man cleaning out the excess reeds and other plants out of my pond. He had to be very careful as the pond was originally used as the rubbish tip for the estate joiner and included lots of glass. This was long before we had dustbin men!! He began the job a fortnight ago and then we left the debris out on the side to allow any creatures to return to the water.  It was a very smelly job on a hot day and I was pleased to stand and watch. He worked hard.

On the local history front I have been asked to give talks to both Howden Civic Society [September 1st in the Masonic Hall]  and to the Boothferry Family and Local history group [ in the Courtyard on September 18th]. I am a member of both groups and plan to show some old photos - but who knows  what will be happening by then with Covid and will people want to come and sit near others and will we still be wearing masks? I can only prepare and hope.

I continue to  collect old pictures, some of which I hope to be showing in September. Here are a few. I collect pictures from a wide area of what is now all called the East Riding of Yorkshire but was once very definitely East Riding and West Riding. Some of my collection includes family photographs and I always try to get the names - so many beautiful photos  are lost to descendants as no-one knows who they are. 



Aerial view of Bridge Street, Goole



Howden South station shed aka the bat house


Crossley Burney car on display at Howden on loan from Beaulieu motor museum 


 Eastrington chapel and Queen Street





 Herons' lorry in 1926 centenary parade


Aeroplane at Carlton









1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many "unseen for years" pictures are hidden away in boxes in people's cupboards...

    ReplyDelete