Sunday 15 May 2011

Welcome to my blog

I have been interested in local history for many years and also in family history. My mother's ancestors, the Nurse family, have lived in Eastrington since the seventeenth century and so learning about the history of the village meant I also learned about my own family at the same time.

After several years teaching history to children at Howden School I moved on to teach local history to adults for the WEA and have long-running classes in Goole, Howden and Eastrington.

I also write articles and books about local history and work as a professional genealogist with a special interest in Yorkshire.

In any spare time I am a keen gardener, trying to tame a plot of about an acre although the weeds usually win. I also keep a few chickens, a cat and share the house with my daughter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan

    Your contact details have been passed to me by a fellow family history researcher as she understands that it was you who compiled the Leighton 'Book' some years ago.

    I was passed a copy of it over 10 years ago now

    I've been revisiting this really useful document - what I've got is 5 pages starting with the heading 'Family 1 - Descendants of Samuel Leighton - Generation 1' .

    I was just wondering, is what I've got part of a bigger Leighton document or is what I've got the entirety please?

    I've spent many a research hour myself trying to untangle the South Cave Leighton ball of string as I'm descended from one of them, Elizabeth Leighton b. abt. 1832 South Cave, one of 'unmarried mother' Jane Leighton's (1806 - 1873) 7 illegitimate children with a soldier called John Clark but recorded on all the birth certificates as John Leighton.

    They did eventually marry on 20/5/1860 at St Mary's Beverley, 13 years after their last child together was born in 1873!!

    I researched all of that branch and wrote up my findings in a Google doc. if you are interested.

    Jane's father, Samuel Leighton's (1756 - 1832) death was recorded by Robert Sharp in his South Cave diaries, as were mentions of his son Samuel Leighton (1804 - 1873).

    I wanted to ask permission from you please to pass on 'The Big Book of Leightons' to another Leighton researcher who connects with my own family tree, I always like to ask the author first.

    Thanks again for your research work which was really helpful in moving my Leighton research forward.

    kind regards

    Keith Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith - I cannot claim credit for the Leighton book I'm afraid. I presume you mean the one about growing up in Newport. If so It was written by a lady called Sue Blow. I do not always check these comments but do please get in touch through my Howdenshirehistory.co.uk websire.

      Delete